You’ve heard it said, “Never say ‘never'” because just as soon as you do, that ‘never’ will become a reality, and when it comes to style and fashion, that’s usually a pretty good rule. What was once a ‘never’ (white after Labor Day?!) becomes totally okay. But I’ve come to find out that I do actually have a few fashion ‘never’s’ that I think will stand the test of time. If you disagree, I’m happy to listen…
5 Fashion Never’s
* No socks with sandals. It’s just not a good look.
* No bare chests out in public, unless you’re at the beach or two years old. A recent article in the New York Times discussed the increasing prevalence of bare-chested men on the streets of that city, and not in a positive way either. To quote from that article, “It’s great we live in a democratic society, but we’ve lost all sense of decorum and occasion,” says Patricia Mears, deputy director of the Museum at the Fashion Institute of Technology. “To be on Fifth Avenue is now about the same as being on the Coney Island boardwalk.” Even if you’ve got six-pak abs, baring all on the streets is just not appropriate.
* Similarly, no bare midriffs if you’re overweight and/or over 50 years old. Okay, Madonna might be able to pull it off, but if you’re not her…forget about it!
* No underwear showing above the waistband of your pants. This isn’t just about that gansta’ rapper look of wearing the waistband of your pants around your butt; it’s also for underwear that peeks out from waistbands when women or men are seated or when they bend down to pick something up. Make sure you can move and sit without revealing your undies.
* Another underwear no-no: no VPL (visible panty line). With all the great smoothing shapewear available today, there’s no reason for a panty line showing under your skirt or pants.
There! I feel so much better now. What would you add to the list?